Saturday, October 1, 2011

Pregnancy Myths

So I wanted to take some time to write about some pregnancy myths.

As I am approaching my 40th week of pregnancy and beginning to feel like I am ready to meet our daughter. I begin to feel a bit anxious and excited! I can't wait for her to get here but I also know that means my sleepless nights will begin and at times inability to calm my child. Oh how my mind begins to wonder. But don't misunderstand my comment, I am so overjoyed and elated to be a mom and I can't wait to meet Carmella. But just as any new parent approaches the due date these feelings of inadequacy begin to fill my head. 

Since I started my maternity leave on Monday, September 26th I have been walking about 1 to 2 hours a day just trying to work this baby out. She seems to be pretty comfortable in there and hasn't really made much more of an appearance. After our doctor's appointment on Wednesday we got news we were about 70% effaced and almost 2 cm dilated. I had the doctor strip my membranes, which really just means she separates the amniotic sac from the uterus wall at the cervical line. This usually helps stimulate the hormones and can begin labor within a few hours or a day. Well I did begin to feel some discomfort and wouldn't you know it I lost my mucus plug (an indicator that labor will be starting soon) and I was starting to believe that we were going to have this baby. False alarm!! 

It has been 3 days and nothing! A few braxton hicks contractions here and there but nothing. I am beginning to believe that I have made her too comfortable and cozy in there and she just doesn't want to come out. So we wait! Truthfully her due date isn't until Monday, October 3rd so she is still on time, I just thought she would be here after all that excitement. So like any pregnant women that is about to pop I headed to the Internet for some quick tips on how to get her out!

 Some people say drink red raspberry tea and other suggest Castor oil (umm no thanks).  But here is where I think the big myth lies.... spicy food. Ok so you go out and you eat this huge spicy meal, whether it is Mexican, Chinese or even something people call Prego Pizza (in Walnut Creek). Whatever spicy meal you favor the truth is it just leaves mom feeling like crap and bloated! Yes, I know because I tried it last night. We went out for Mexican food and I ordered the spiciest burrito with all the fixings I could find to see if I could light a fire underneath her to get her out. Well the only fire that was lite was in the bathroom, if you know what I mean.  So here is my thought..... why do women eat these spicy meals that could induce labor cause don't they know that it has to eventually come out and lets not hope during labor. 


So my advice to moms that are trying to find ways to get their babies out early or are just plain tired of being pregnant don't mess with spicy food if you want to have clean birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment