Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Fatigue and Runny Nose

So far throughout this pregnancy I have been truly blessed and have only experienced minimal symptoms. At 8 weeks and 2 days I haven't experienced any morning sickness, praise God!! I have had some queasiness on the mornings when I go to work and don't eat right away. I learned early on to eat a little snack when I leave the house at 6AM and then when I sit down to eat breakfast and it won't take me 30 minutes to get it down. So no more queasiness.

I have recently felt extremely tired and luckily it has only been on my days off. We wouldn't want a sleepy girl at work, I have patients to take care of. So I have finally given into nap time. I can been found napping around 2 in the afternoon or right before dinner. For many years I have been against napping for fear that it would keep me up at night when I try to go to sleep but let me tell you this baby has changed my thinking. I now find time to schedule a nap in during the day and yes I will still fall asleep at night. Even a 20 minute power nap will do it for me. So I would definitely say fatigue is a pregnancy symptom that I am experiencing.

Another strange but common symptom is rhinitis (also know as runny nose) during pregnancy. As my hormones increase to support this baby, higher amounts of estrogen can contribute to swelling of the mucous membranes lining the nose and even cause you to make more mucus. Oh goody so I have a runny nose and feel congested all the time. Well I guess it would be better to have these symptoms than to be getting sick all the time. Not to mention the benefit to having a stuffy nose is that my heightened sense of smell isn't as strong and when it comes to working in hospitals, well then that is GREAT!!

All that being said I am happy with the few symptoms I have been feeling and know that it could be worse. So as far a pregnancy goes for me... I am loving it!! But lets not talk about fitting into my jeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment