Saturday, February 5, 2011

Telling Our Families

Since Chris and I have been trying to have a baby for 2 years now I have had some time to think about how I would tell my family. And believe me I have had some lavish ideas but when it came down to it I couldn't contain myself and many of those ideas didn't seem to matter. The hardest part for me was that all of my immediate family lives out of town, well out of state to be exact. So telling them over the phone seemed a little anti-climatic to me. So thank goodness for Skype.

After we saw our peanut on the ultrasound we decided to tell my sister. I was the first person she told that she was going to have my beautiful little niece Sophia. And I needed her now more than ever. So I convinced her to Skype with us so we could see Sophia, she kept asking me if I had something to tell her and I just said no. As Sophia lost interest in talking to us and found that Nemo was way more interesting. I asked my sister and brother in law if they would be around in October when we had our baby! I started crying and she was screaming! I was a great moment that we'll all remember forever. Even Sophia got a little excited about the news or maybe it was just that everyone else was excited.

After a few days we decided to share the news with Chris's parents, who live about 10 minutes away. We headed over to their house to pick up some things and while there Chris placed the ultrasound picture on the fridge. He then called his mom over to ask her what was on the fridge. She saw the picture and said, "Is that what I think it is?" I shook my head yes and started crying and then she started crying. She kissed us both and called for Gary, Chris's dad to come in the kitchen. I think that his moms reaction was one of shock and overwhelming joy cause they know what a long and painful road it has been for us.

Along with all the joy comes sadness too, when you think about those that are still struggling with infertility. We continue to pray for our friends and people we don't know that struggle with fertility issues cause we know first hand how painful and gut wrenching it can be. Every month is filled with so many what ifs? But we pray and hope that our story and journey will help them to have new faith and know that God has the perfect plan for them. Not to mention that he is working on a custom baby for those that struggle with infertility and that is why it takes so long, we aren't just getting one off the shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment