Friday, September 9, 2011

Birthing Classes

After some discussion and suggestions from friends and family we decided to take a birthing class about two weeks ago. I have been involved in 5 births, some in nursing school and others were friends. So I feel like I know what to expect, but of course that is from another perspective. I can anticipate what and when things are going to happen but when it comes to dealing with the pain and the actual birth I am pretty clueless.

We signed up to take a two day birthing class (4 hours each day) because I was told that an 8 hour day is a waste and my schedule is so inconsistent that we could never take a weekly class. And the only place that offered classes for 4 hours was at Harmony Birth and Baby. At first I was a little nervous because the place seemed really earthy and green to me and I was hoping they wouldn't try to talk me out of my epidural. But after meeting the other couples and the Douala that was our teacher, it seemed like they were going to offer information about both natural and medicated births.

I wasn't sure how Chris was going to do in these classes but once again be surprised me completely! He was and is going to be the best partner and coach!! Seriously he got involved in the discussions and asked questions and when it came time to role play contractions he was right there encouraging me and rubbing my back. We learned all about the stages of labor, pain medication and deep breathing, what to expect at the hospital and so much more. They even simulate the pain of a contraction by placing your hands into a bowl of ice and holding them there for a minute. Funny thing was the men had to do it too just so they could begin to imagine the women's pain. Yes, I am aware that the contractions are going to be a lot worse than a bowl of ice, but I must admit that was not very comfortable.

We finished up our weekend birthing classes and felt encouraged and overwhelmed all at the same time. But we aren't stopping there because we'll be taking a comfort measures class this weekend. The hope is that this class will teach us techniques and allow me to labor at home for longer. Truthfully no one likes to be sitting in a hospital bed in pain and totally vulnerable, well at least that is what my patients tell me.

So off to another birthing class this weekend and then it is time to get organized for baby Carmella!

No comments:

Post a Comment