Thursday, June 23, 2011

Glucose Tolerance Test

Ahh yes the infamous Glucose Tolerance Test (GTT). This is a test where they check pregnant woman during weeks 24-28 for gestational diabetes. About 6 weeks ago the American Diabetes Association changed the way they test pregnant women for Gestational diabetes. They used to do preliminary blood work and if you failed you would have to do a four hour glucose test. Well now they have gone straight to a 2 hour glucose tolerance test.

Having assumed they would draw my preliminary blood first, I woke up bright and early Wednesday morning ready to have my blood draw.  Except when I read the lab slip I saw the words fasting and 2 hours. I was stunned so I called the lab and they informed me that I had to be fasting for 10-12 hours and have my blood drawn at one hour increments for two hours. I told the technician that I had better come now because I was starving!

So I headed down to have my blood drawn. It started with a fasting blood draw and then they make you drink 75 g of fruit punch that basically tastes like a flat fruit punch soda.


Then you wait........ the technician told me I had to sit in the waiting room and wait an hour to have my blood drawn again. No drinking water, no moving around and just sit there. Are you serious?? This is going to be a long 2 hours, not to mention I have been fasting for 12 hours. Good thing I brought some magazines to catch up on. I have to say sitting in a lab office watching people come in and have their blood drawn and then walk out is pretty boring. And truthfully who really likes having their blood drawn?

So after my first hour lab draw I was feeling pretty good until I stood up and realized the tech did not apply enough pressure to the puncture site. As a result blood was dripping down my arm onto my yellow tank top. Uh oh!! So after cleaning myself up he gave me permission to go out side and clean the blood off my shirt. I found a nice bench in the sun and the next hour flew by. Finally I had my two hour blood work drawn and I was free to go home. But of course they asked if I was ok to drive home or if I need to call for a ride. I mean seriously a pregnant lady just gives you all her blood and hasn't eaten in over 14 hours and you're just now asking if she is ok. Yeah I am ok to drive just show me the food. So home I went to a yummy lunch!!

And now we wait for the final results. Oh what fun the waiting is!!

No comments:

Post a Comment